How will You Spend Your Memorial Day at the Jersey Shore.
In honor of our Americans that have died in the Military Service, Memorial Day marks the official start of the Summer Season in Cape May NJ. Please recognize and honor our local heroes from New Jersey and take a pause to pay respect and thanks for those that have given the ultimate sacrifice for our country.
Although the official Memorial Day marks the start of the summer in Cape May NJ, and many New Jersey shore goers will flock to the shore to enjoy a barbecue, opening of the shore house, launching of a boat for the season or finding that perfect Cape May Hotel, bar or restaurant. We wanted to list a few simple traditions that you can start this summer in Cape May to kick off your Memorial Day and pay respect for this holiday weekend.
Memorial Day Things to Do in Cape May, Start A Tradition this Year
- Take a drive to Sunset Beach and attend the Flag Raising Ceremony, this tradition starts this weekend as a forty year tradition, as a donated families veteran’s casket flag is raised over the beach, you can listen to the worn out and scratched record playing of God Bless America.
- Visit the Fisherman’s Memorial which honors the past fisherman from Cape May and overlooks Cape May Harbor.
- Attend the City of Cape May Memorial Day Ceremony at 10:30 AM on May 27th
- Attend the The United States Coast Guard Training Center Cape May, N.J Sunset Parade On May 26th at 7:45 PM The Training Center is open to the invited family members and guests of the graduating class every Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Celebrate Memorial Day and help kick off the 24th Annual Cape May Music Festival during this year’s Cape May Music Festival Gala, presented by the Mid-Atlantic Center for the Arts & Humanities (MAC), on May 26 from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the restored Joseph Hall Cottage, 645 Hughes St.
- Visit the World War II Sighting Tower
- Sponsor A Flower Bouquet to placed a the National War Memorials on Memorial Day
- And if you can’t attend any of the functions above why not Fly the Flag Fly the flag in Cape May
- Did you know that traditional guidelines call for the flag to be displayed in public areas only from sunrise to sunset? (However, it may fly at any time as long as it’s illuminated.)
You can Sponsor a Flower Bouquets to places at the National War Memorials on Memorial Day, or make a donation to the The Memorial Day Foundation by clicking on the banner below.
How To Observe Memorial Day
“We should guard their graves with sacred vigilance. All that the consecrated wealth and taste of the nation can add to their adornment and security, is but a fitting tribute to the memory of her slain defenders. Let pleasant paths invite the coming and going of reverent visitors and fond mourners. Let no vandalism of avarice or neglect, no ravages of time testify to the present or the coming generations, that we have forgotten as a people the cost of a free and undivided Republic. If other eyes grow dull, and other hands slack, and other hearts cold in the solemn trust, ours shall keep it well as long as the light and warmth of life remains to us.”
—-General John Logan, General Order No. 11, May 5, 1868
Come to Cape May and enjoy a Water Sport Excursion including Parasailing, Jet Boats or Jet Ski Rentals.
Click above to Save 10% on Line
Cape May Resort offers the best packages in local watersport Events, Planning a Visit to Cape May, we’ve put together the most popular local events in Cape May to enjoy during your Vacation.