Come to Cape May this Memorial Day Weekend and celebrate the official start of the Summer Season.
Memorial Day is a federal holiday observed every year on the last Monday in May. It honors those who died serving the United States military. It is also seen as the start of the summer season. All non-essential government offices are closed including schools, people usually have the day off work, and some local businesses may not be open as well.
Coming to Cape May this Summer with your iPhone, Blackberry, Droid or Tablet? Why not plan your vacation and events on the go with you hand held device. Cape May Resort.com now offers a fully functional Mobile Platform m.capemayresort.com to allow you to purchase WaterSport TIckets, Book Hotels, download shopping coupons or check out local events in Cape May NJ.
Memorial Day honors those who lost their lives while in the military service. It is traditional to fly the American flag at half mast. Many people visit national cemeteries where volunteers will place the American flag on each grave. Memorials are attended as well. It is a day that marks the start of summer and vacation season. People will attend picnics, BBQs, sporting events, and spending time with family
2015 South Jersey Memorial Day Weekend Events
St. Anthony’s Greek Festival
May 21-24, 2015
430 West Wheat Road
This family event features homemade authentic Greek foods, Greek music and dancing, Greek artifacts and groceries, Rides for the Kids, raffles, church tours and plenty of love and smiles for the residents of Vineland and the visitors from all around the Delaware Valley.
May Fair 2015
Saturday, May 23, 2015: 10 am to 5 pm
678 Haddon Avenue
This popular family event expects to draw over 50,000 people and features Five stages of live music including blues, rock, folk and more. Activities for Children include a “KidZone” featuring pony rides, carnival games, rides and children-friendly crafters. The Collingswood Farmers Market will be offering “Jersey Fresh” produce and florals sold in a delightful open air atmosphere
Wildwoods International Kite Festival
May 22 – 25, 2015
On the Beach at Rio Grande Ave and inside the Wildwoods Convention Center
Free to spectators!
The largest kite festival in North America. Highlights include the 9 p.m. illuminated kite fly on the beach, the East Coast Stunt Kite Championships, kite exhibits and workshops and the World Indoor Kite Competition where kite fliers will showcase their impressive ability to fly a kite without wind.
26th Cape May Music Festival
Sunday, May 24 through Thursday, June 11, 2015
Emlen Physick Estate
1048 Washington St
Cape May, NJ
Enjoy world-class orchestral and chamber music, a world traditions series and Bach’s Lunches
Wildwood Crest Summer Kickoff Concert
Sunday, May 24, 2015, 7:30 – 9:30 pm
Fern Road & Ocean Avenue
Wildwood Crest, NJ
This popular family live event features the popular rock and roll, party and dance music. An annual event to help kick off a new summer season in the Crest, featuring live entertainment by longtime area favorites performing pop/dance hits from the 1960s through today. FREE all-ages show, bring a blanket or a chair.
Cape May Memorial Day Crafts and Antiques Show
Sunday, May 24, 2015, 10am-4pm
Cape May Convention Hall
Beach Avenue at Stockton
Cape May, NJ
The show will offer mixed crafts and antiques
Here 10 Top Things to do for Free in Cape May for Memorial Day
- Go on an active adventure. Take a walk, climb on rocks at the Jetty (safely please), splash in the waves, jump off sand dunes. Build a moat. Make sand angels.
- Make a friend for the summer in Cape May. You may find people from different countries and cultures sitting right next to you on the beach, here in Cape May. You can also meet the most interesting people a the Brown Room, the official Living room of Cape May in Congress Hall.
- Visit the Cape May Beach and play “Ring Around the Rosie” in the water a the Cape May Beach. The big splash at the end when you all fall down will likely result in lots of giggles.
- Take a footprint picture to remember your trip at Sunset Beach, don’t forget to hunt for Cape May Diamonds on the beach
- Catch the sunrise or sunset and
- Fly a kite. Buy one from the kite store in Cape May or visit the open air mall.
- Track and name footprints–birds, crabs, people, dogs.
- Go boating–sail boat, kayak, fishing.
- Read an ocean-themed book.
- Walk up to the top of the Cape May Light House