Cape May Voted on of the Best Beach Town’s for Romance
N.J.’s best beach towns: Peter Genovese | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
THE MOST ROMANTIC TOWN
The city with the second most Victorian buildings in the country (after San Francisco) is chockablock with charming, impeccably maintained Victorian homes and B&Bs, gingerbread-like confections with names such as the King’s Cottage and Puffin Suites.
The Victorian Motel, curiously enough, may be the least Victorian building in the city, a three-story brick seaside motel.
No matter; a hand-in-hand stroll through the city on a warm summer night may be just the kickstarter for love and romance.
Cape May is built for walking. There are scores of shops (the best named: Miss Demeanor, a women’s boutique), restaurants and food stops. Many are congregated at the pedestrian-only Washington Street Mall.
It’s not very romantic, but a stop at Hot Dog Tommy’s, a hole-in-the-wall hot dog stand on Jackson Street, is a must. The guy behind the counter with the goofy hot dog hat is Tommy Snyder, who dispenses a sizeable order of shtick with his hot dogs.
Trolley tours run by the Mid-Atlantic Center for the Arts & Humanities are a great way to see and learn about the famed seaside resort.
The Shore’s best ice cream, as far as I’m concerned, can be found at the Vanilla Bean Creamery, a purple-shuttered house just past milepost 0 on the Garden State Parkway. It’s actually in Lower Township, not Cape May — but don’t go looking for a website or Facebook page, because there are none.
Check out our own Top Ten for Romantic Places in Cape May NJ
Here’s a brief list of some Top Ten Romantic Romantic Things to do in Cape May NJ as a couple.
- Congress Hall Fireplace, take a seat in the couch and cuddle from a brisk Fall or Spring walk.
- Sunset Point, take in a Sunset over the bay and walk the beach.
- The Red Store in Cape May Point, a quiet place away from the crowds of Cape May.
- A sunset cruise on the Cape May Whale Watcher while holding hands on the rail.
- Washington Street Inn, a romantic candle lit dinner followed with an exotic dessert.
- A beach walk at the Jetty, exploring the nooks and crannies as couple.
- Peter Shields on Beach Ave, elegant posh and fine dining
- Take a horse drawn carriage around town as a couple
- Enjoy a fading Sunset from the Delaware Bay, enjoy the Victorian Architecture together.
- 931 Beach House, stay Beach front on Beach Ave and relax on the front deck within walking distance of the beach.