The heat wave in NJ for this last week has been in the 90’s and the local High temperatures in Philadelphia and New Jersey are likely to stay in the 90s well into next week, says a National Weather Service forecaster. Come down to the shore to Cool Cape May and spend a day trip or a weekend to escape from the high heat. Escape the Heat in Cape May NJ and hit the beach, take a shady walk in town or take a cool trip on the Cape May Whale Watcher.
When in Cape May Things to do to Escape the Heat Include:
- Cape May County Park and Zoo – the Cape May County Zoo is free with lots of free parking. In addition to the Zoo and animals the Cape May County Zoo also has shady parks and picnic areas with cool gift shops. Come to the Cape May County Zoo and cool down with a picnic under a shady tree.
- Climb the Cape May Lighthouse – Take a ride down to the Cape May State Park and climb the 199 steps to the top of the lighthouse. It’s nice and cool inside the Cape May Lighthouse with its insulated three foot thick walls. Once you get to the top of the Lighthouse you are rewarded with a spectacular view, and a strong ocean breeze at the top. Kids climb free with a paid adult admission with our coupon. Simply click on the link above and scroll to the bottom of the page to find the coupon!
- Walk the Shady Streets of Victorian Cape May – you can explore the shady and tree lined streets of Cape May by foot, bike or take the trolley. Don’t miss the Physick Estate, and you can also take a self guided audio tour covering the history of Cape May and over 90 Historic Landmarks. You can visit the Physick Estate, 1048 Washington St. to pick up Audio Tours on the local Cape May area, for more information Click Here
- Take a Cool Whale and Dolphin Watching Trip Offshore – One of our favorite things to do to stay cool in the summer is taking an early morning 10:00 AM trip on the Cape May Whale Watcher. This local cruise is famous in the area as it will take you offshore to sea dolphins and whales aboard the air-conditioned Cape May Whale Watcher. Plus, once the Cape May Whale Watcher Boat heads out of the Cape May inlet, you will immediately feel the cool ocean air and temperature drop as you encounter a cooler ocean breeze.
- Take a Fast Ride on the New Cape May Jet Boat Adventure – This new high speed Jet Boat which departs from Utsch’s Marina in Cape May is a blast. You will definitely get wet as the boat does 180 degree turns and high speed runs as it heads around the tip of Cape May, NJ. Plan to come and have the ride of your life as you cool down on a speed boat.
- Visit the Naval Air Station Wildwood NJ – This non-profit venue is located only 5 miles from the center of Cape May NJ. You can walk the Historic Hanger and view vintage Word War II Aircraft and interactive displays. You can climb up into a real aircraft field control tower, which is great fun for the kids. In total, they have over 26 airplanes on display for you to check out.
- Visit one of Cape May’s Local Vineyards and Take a Local Tasting Tour – Cape May offers over (6) local Wineries all within a short driving distance from your hotel or vacation spot. Take a Local Tasting Tour at Hawk Haven, Cape May Winery, Jessie Creek Winery, Willow Creek Winery, Natali or Turdo Vineyards.
- Take a Cool Trip on The Cape May Ferry – The Cape May Ferry offers a full summer schedule for trips over to Lewes for Shopping. This 17 Mile, 85 Minute Cape May Ferry Cruise can be taken by car, foot or bike. Once you break the canal entrance on the Delaware you will feel the warm bay breezes for this refreshing trip.
- Go Shopping in The West End Garage in West Cape May – If your are looking for a great place to shop for unique gift items and collectibles check out the West End Garage in Cape May. This garage has been created into a unique marketplace featuring antiques, collectibles, local art and one of kind artist creations and local estate jewelry. The West End Garage is a great way to spend a hot summer day shopping for local antiques and one of a kind creations.
- Hit the Beaches in Cape May and Enjoy the Sand and Surf – Don’t forget to bring your Cape May Beach Tags to cool down. Cool Cape May beaches are open 7 days per week, 1 0a.m. to 5p.m. The prices for season, weekly and daily badges are listed below: Beginning April 1st: – Seasonal $28.00 Weekly (Saturday – Saturday) $15.00 Three Day $10.00
Daily $ 6.00. If you’re visiting for the day or weekend you can pick up beach tags at the beach entrances.
If you’re looking for more things to do in Cape May NJ this summer, visit either one of our Cape May Things To Do pages that are listed below for more information.
- Visit Cape May Things To Do During the Summer by clicking here.
- Cape May Lighthouse Additional Things to Do during the Summer please click here.
Additional Things to do in Cape May NJ during the Month of August
Summer Events for August 2013
Come to the Cape May Baby Parade, attend the National Lighthouse Day at the Cape May Lighthouse, watch a movie on the beach or come to West Cape May and enjoy the Cape May Tomato Festival.
Aug 1st: The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe, Movies on the Beach, Convention Hall Beach
Aug 2nd: Cape May Baby Parade, Convention Hall
For Additional Details, Call (609) 884-1431
Aug 5th: Anita Gillette in Her One-Woman Show: After All, Cape May Stage, 8pm, $50
For more information, call- (609) 884-1431
Aug 7th: National Lighthouse Day at the Cape May Lighthouse
Aug 8th: The Princess Diaries, Movies on the Beach, Convention Hall Beach
Aug 10th & 11th: Promenade Craft Show
Interested in Obtaining More Information? Call 609 884 9565
Aug 10th- Delaware Bay Lighthouse Adventure, Cape May Whale Watcher
Aug 10: 2nd Annual Craft Beer & Crab Festival, MAC,
Call 609 884 5504 for More Info Today!
Aug 11th: Craft & Flea Market, VFW Ladies Auxiliary, Wilbraham Park
Aug 12th: Sandra Reaves Phillips in “Me, Myself, and You”, Cape May Stage, 8pm, $50
For Ticket Details, Call- 609 884 1431
Aug 12th: Peter Noone & The Herman’s Hermits, Convention Hall, 8pm
Information & Ticket Details, Call- (609) 884-9563
Aug 14th: Family Fun Day at the Cape May Lighthouse, MAC
609 884 5404
Aug 15th- Jaws, Movies on the Beach, Convention Hall Beach
Aug 17th: Art & Antiques in the Park, WCM Elementary School PTA, Wilbraham Park,
Call – 609 884 9325
Aug 18th-23rd: 22nd Annual Mid-Atlantic $500,000, Canyon Club
Aug 19th: Sister Act Ann Hampton Callaway and Liz Callaway, Cape May Stage, 8pm, $50
Tickets and Other Information, Call- 609 884 1431
Aug 22nd: Swiss Family Robinson, Movies on the Beach, Convention Hall Beach
Aug 31st – Sept 1st: 21st Summer Send-Off Craft Show
More Information Available- Call- (609) 884-9565
Aug 31st: West Cape May Tomato Festival, Wilbraham Park
609 884 9325 – Rain date for the Tomato Festival is- Sept. 1st.